1. Life is like a dream and it’s possible to wake up. I call the experience of waking up ‘lucid living’, because it’s like lucid dreaming. When I am unconscious in the dream of life I take the miracle of existence for granted, but when I live lucidly I see the magic all around me.
2. We are much more than we seem to be. In a dream at night I seem to be a particular person, but in reality I am much more than that – I am the dreamer. In the same way, right now, I appear to be a particular individual in the life-dream, but in reality I am much more than that – I am the primal awareness that is imagining the whole universe into existence.
3. All is one. When I wake up I know myself to be the primal awareness that is dreaming itself to be everyone and everything. I see that, although we appear to be separate individuals in the life-dream, in reality we are all one awareness.
4. Being one is loving all. When I see that I am one with all I experience an unconditional ‘big love’ for all.
5. What I really want is to love being right now. I have an endless list of desires, but it’s only when I live lucidly and experience ‘big love’ that I feel truly fulfilled.
6. I don’t need to reject the dream of separateness to wake up to oneness. Indeed I have found the opposite to be true. Waking up to oneness makes me want to celebrate separateness. It is the secret of truly enjoying the dream.
7. Waking up is natural. I used to think that to wake up I needed to become a special ‘spiritual’ person, but actually I have found I just need to be myself and recognise what is, and has always been, my deeper nature.
8. I’m free to wake up any time I want. All I need to do is pay close attention to that mysterious presence called ‘I’ that is witnessing this beautiful dream. And, like everything, the more I practise, the easier it becomes.
9. Nobody’s perfect – especially not me. I used to think that to wake up I needed to become a ‘perfect person’, but actually I have found that I just need to learn to love myself as I am.
10. Don’t take yourself too seriously. I learned this one having to survive school with a name pronounced ‘freak’! I have found that the more I wake up the more I want us to laugh and play together.
About the Author: Tim Freke is a philosopher or ‘lover of wisdom’ who is pioneering a simple new way to experience a profound spiritual awakening, which fully embraces our everyday humanity. He has spent his life exploring the awakened state he often simply calls ‘The Mystery Experience’. Tim has an honours degree in Philosophy and is an internationally respected authority on world spirituality. He is the author of over thirty books that have established his reputation as a scholar and free-thinker. He is best known for his groundbreaking work on Christian Gnosticism with his close friend Peter Gandy, including The Jesus Mysteries, which was a top 10 best-seller in the UK and USA, and a ‘Book of the Year’ in the UK Daily Telegraph. In recent years he has articulated his own ‘lucid philosophy’ in The Laughing Jesus, Lucid Living, and How Long is Now? His books will soon be available at Satiama.